Monday 28 January 2008

Have I been Gaslighted?

I recently read an online article that made me ask the question; Have I been gaslighted ?
.
Right now I am in the early stages of a divorce so it immediately spoke to me. Yes! I almost screamed, this is exactly what has happened to me.
.
Granted, I am currently in the 'it's all his fault' stage of things and yes I have been thinking about putting a dead fish somewhere in his car or possibly spreading rumors on his prowess or lack of it in the bedroom.
.
But when I read this article it spoke to me.
.
I realised that there were two people responsible for the failure of a marriage. After all my ex fell in love with me how I was then yet I seem to have spent the last seven years moulding myself into what I believed he wanted me to be. I stopped listening to music that I liked or stopped eating certain foods all because I thought it would make our life easier/better.
.
He was a 'gaslighter', the one who needed to be right in every aspect. Apparently this makes them feel empowered and gives them a sense of self.
.
I have been the 'gaslightee', this means that I have allowed someone else to define my reality because I crave approval.
.
What struck me most about the article was the fact that it explained how this is not restricted to spousal relationships it can be in any relationship. Employer/employee, Mother/Daughter. To my horror I found myself analysing all the relationships in my life.
.
I have now decided that self analysis is not that much fun and my opinion is that I shouldn't do it, I refuse to be a 'gaslightee' any longer.
.
What do you think? Am I right?

No comments: